Use Gravity Forms Plugin to Build Advanced Forms in WordPress
Gravity Forms is an advanced form solution for WordPress. It has powerful features that set it apart from the competition.If you want a simple contact form on your website then you should use free plugins like Contact Form 7 or wpforms. Gravity forms come with features that let users create advanced forms which would have otherwise required a lot of time and custom coding.
Here are some of the awesome features of Gravity Forms
Drag and Drop builder
To create a new form all you have to do is to drag and drop the desired fields in the form designer area. There is no need for any coding to add new fields. The fields can be arranged using drag and drop itself so, it is quite easy to move the fields in the forms section.
The following type of fields are available:
Standard fields are the fields that can be used for multiple purposes like a text input can be used to input education qualifications or address etc. There are multiple standard fields that come inbuilt in Gravity Forms. Here is the list of them.
- Single Line Text: This field is used to get single line text input from the user.
- Paragraph Textarea: This field is used to get multi-line input from the user.
- Drop Down: This field is used to let the user choose a single option from a large list of options. It saves the space by encompassing all the options in a drop-down menu.
- Multi Select: This field is used to let users choose multiple options from a list of options.
- Number: This field is used to let users enter numeric inputs. If alphabets or special characters are inserted in this field then an error is generated and the form doesn’t get submitted.
- Checkbox: Checkboxes are a type of multi-select. Users can tick the boxes adjoining to the options .
- Radio Buttons: This field is used when the user must select only a single option from a group of options. Its visual appearance is similar to checkboxes.
- Hidden: It is used to create a hidden field inside the form. It is not visible to the user but it does get submitted along the form.
- HTML: This field is used to add custom HTML code inside the form. It doesn’t get submitted with the form.
- Section: This Field is used to have a clear division of form into multiple sections.
- Page: This field helps to divide the form into multiple pages. It is a quite popular technique to divide a large form into multiple pages so that the user doesn’t get overwhelmed by the long form.
Advanced fields section has fields which are frequently used in forms. It contains all the validations by default. Here is the list of all the advanced fields:
- Name: It is used to add first name, middle name and last name in the form.
- Date: This field is used to add a date picker in the form.
- Time: It is used to add time field in the form. This field has three sections to input days, hours and minutes.
- Phone: This field is used to get the phone number from a user.
- Address: This field is a combination of street address, address line 2, city, state/region, pin code and country.
- Website: This field only takes a URL as input. If a URL is not entered in the correct format then it will generate an error on submission of the form.
- Email: This field is used to take email id as input. It has all the validations to check if the entered email id is an incorrect format or not.
- File Upload: This field lets users upload a file directly from the form.
- Captcha: Captcha is used to protect submission of form by bots. Gravity Forms support multiple captcha systems like reCaptcha, Honeypot etc.
- List: List field lets user automatically add multiple text inputs from the form. If different users have a different number of entries to submit then they can increase/decrease the number of inputs from the form itself.
These fields are specifically targeted for webmasters who want to have guest posts submitted directly from the front end. The submitted form data will automatically get saved as a draft for preview in the WordPress backend.
- Title: It is used to get post title from guest post submission form.
- Body: This field is used for input of the main article.
- Excerpt: Excerpt is a brief summary of the article.
- Tags: It is used to get the tags for the guest article.
- Category: It is used to get the category of the article.
- Image: All the images that are used inside the article body has to be uploaded from this field.
- Custom Field: It is used to get content for any custom field that you have in your posts section.
Pricing fields are used to create forms which are integrated with PayPal or any other payment gateway to sell items.
- Product: This field is used to show the name of the product.
- Quantity: Users can select the quantity of product from here.
- Option: It is used to give multiple options regarding the product like size, colour variations etc.
- Shipping: It will automatically add shipping costs to final product price.
- Total: This will show the final price depending on the quantity, shipping, and options selected by the user.
Gravity Forms support submission using Ajax. The forms submitted using Ajax doesn’t refresh the page when to submit button is pressed. The confirmation and error messages are displayed immediately after form submission.
3rd Party Addons
Gravity forms are very developer friendly. It has hundreds of actions and filters. This has resulted in thousands of 3rd party add-ons that extend its functionality. Some of them are available for free while others are paid. If you need any additional feature then look for add-ons in the WordPress repository like Gravity Forms doesn’t have an inbuilt designer to customize its appearance so you can use free Gravity forms themes addon. Similarly, there are a lot of other add-ons like payment gateways, additional fields which you can get depending upon your need.
Documentation and support:
Gravity Forms is very well documented and if you ever face any issue or have any query then you can check the documentation or create a support ticket.
It comes with an advanced notification system. You can create rules for email notifications. An email can be sent to different recipients depending on what data is filled in form fields.
The Final Word
Gravity forms are the most versatile form plugin for WordPress. It offers a simple interface to create complex forms with ease. It can be tailored according to your needs and with a large amount of 3rd party add-ons it has become the best choice among the highly competitive forms segment in WordPress.
I will highly recommend Gravity forms to anyone except those who just want a simple contact form.